Monday, November 12, 2007

De-junking and De-cluttering

39 Days and counting till we move back to BC! The next 6 weeks are going to go by so quickly I won't even know what hit me. Between plans that have already been made, to Christmas parties, to packing Cam and myself are going to be quite frantic getting everything organized and ready to move. This weekend we decided to get a start on it. So we went down into the basement to take a little inventory of stuff that we have, and get rid of the stuff that we don't need anymore. There was a huge pile by the end of our tirade, stuff to get thrown out, stuff to go to Goodwill, and boxes we need to keep to pack the stuff we have upstairs. Like my mom says though, no matter how organized you are, you are still going to be busy and frantic getting everything packed up. I want to disagree with her because I think that Cam and I did a pretty good job this weekend getting everything together and separating things that need to go to the dump, or go to Goodwill. We have all the boxes organized in a corner of our basement that are waiting to be filled and ready to go. We have always had the room to store boxes so we have managed to keep the majority of boxes from stuff that we have bought, for example: my kitchen aid mixer box, or our x-box box, or the box from our computer. So that will make packing that majority of the belonging that we are still using easy. Our philosophy when cleaning up is; if we haven't used it in the last year that we have lived here we obviously don't need it at all. I find it hard to let go of some things, only because some things hold some sentimental value to me, but I have to be realistic when it comes down to it. Even when I am packing the stuff that we still have out I will be eliminating a lot of it. Because for the past year and a half it has just sat there and not been used, so I don't see me requiring it down the road. I have gotten along just fine for the last year without it. If that make sense?
We really don't own a lot of stuff, so moving for us will be rather straight forward. I am just excited to what the new year holds for Cam and me. It will be interesting to see where we are this time next year. I am hoping in our own house.

1 comment:

Toona's Mom said...

Beware of Murphy!!!!! Is all I can say. Things that you feel you don't need right now or have not used in the past year MAY be something that you NEED down the road. De-clutter YES but make sure it is junk.