Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pedway Traffic Jams

Alright I am pretty new to this whole big city thing. I work right downtown in a very busy building. There are many busy buildings in the downtown core, and they are all connected by either pedways or a mutual doorway. I do like the luxury of having the pedways only because I don't have to walk outside when it is -30 outside with wind chill....brrrr. For those of you who don't know what a pedway is, here is the definition:

A pedway is an elevated walkway for people, connecting buildings to each other, high rises, or the street. They are used as a quick way to move from building to building, away from traffic and unfavourable weather.

What I try to do is not leave our office at lunch that way I don't have to deal with pedway traffic jams. I find them really bad in the morning, at lunch, and after five. Mostly lunch aaarrgg. So my problem with the pedways is this: I think being from a small town I am accustom to people being more aware of their surroundings and people walking than it is here in the city. Here in the city people are so self absorbed that they will walk right into you, or just stop when they know that there is a line of people behind them. I like to think of myself as a fast walker, I don't like to hold people up that are behind me, so I guess I sometimes expect the same from others.

I really don't think it is hard to be more courteous of our fellow man and let people pass you if you are a slow walker. I understand that some people have limitations to their walking and that is fine, but for those of you who don't pay attention and are just being ignorant, all I ask is that you be a little more aware of your surroundings. Sorry to use the blog as an outlet to complain about one of my pet peeves, but I had to let it off of my chest.
In closing:
Fish heads to those who are slow walkers and ignorant about it
Flowers to those who are courteous :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA! That reminds me of malls at Christmas time!
I am so with you on that! I hate it when people just stop - knowing well that there are many people behind. Fish head indeed.