Friday, February 2, 2007

Always remember

Today is the 7th anniversary of my Grandma Koehle's death. She passed away on February 2, 2000. So I just wanted to express some feeling that I am having today.

I still feel her presence with me from time to time. The hurt never goes away, but it gets easier to deal with. For some reason I am finding this year harder than others. There are times when I have a problem and I am seeking advice from somewhere, or someone. Eventually some solution will come to me in time, and I believe it is my grandmother's wisdom that I think I hold within me. Every time my Grandpa tells me that I remind him sometimes of her, or that I will do something that reminds him of her, I kindly reassure him that Grandma will always live on in each of her children, and grandchildren. We all posses her attributes in one way, shape, or form. I think that if I could even be half the person she was, I am doing pretty well and will be okay. She never had unkind words to say about anyone. She believed that if you didn't have anything nice to say, not to say anything at all. I am sure unkind thoughts were there, but she would never share them out loud to any of us, and that is what helped make her such a beautiful person inside and out. her undying kindness to every living creature. I treasure every summer I use to have with her out at our family cabin. She would sometimes bring her 'rye' travelling case. The contents of the little case were her rye, her pepsi, and her jigger, there may have even been a glass in there too..... Grandma and Mrs. Burge would sit up at the cabin sipping rye till my grandpa would drive them both back into town after supper. My only wish would be that she could be with me on my wedding day, but I know she will be there in spirit. I can't have any regrets because with regret comes hurt, and I know she would want that :o)

So tonight I think I will go home and pour myself a Rye and Pepsi (her favourite) and drink to her and the memories that I will always take with me.
Cheers Grandma, I know you are around somewhere looking out for us :o)

2 comments:

Toona's Mom said...

I have been missing Grandma like CRAZY myself this year. MANY a time have I needed her throughout this past year and like you just ask for her help and she seems to come down and just cradle me in her arms until I come to some sort of a decision. So here's to Grandma, "Cheers Mom" hope you are enjoying your rye and cokes with Auntie Mary and Grandma.

Anonymous said...

Your Grandma was an amazing woman! What a nice tribute to her. Feb.3 marked the 21st year that my dad has been gone - so I definately know where you are coming from! Just know that she is always with you - watching over you - and so proud of the woman you have become.

I am raising my glass to her!