Wednesday, February 7, 2007

What happened to sportsmanship in hockey?

So, last night I went to an Edmonton Oiler's game Vs my boys from the Vancouver Canucks. The game was awesome Vancouver beat Edmonton 5-2. I had so much fun and I enjoyed watching the players in real life rather on the TV :o) Anyways, I noticed at the end of the game how the players just left the ice. They didn't shake hands after the buzzer went. They all just head for the dressing room. After a few minutes something kinda came over me...... Why did they not shake hands after the game to say something as simple as 'good game'. I am a curler; therefore, we shake hands to wish luck to the opposing team, and shake hands after a game to say good game. That is kinda the unspoken rule that is what you do.

Hockey players work hard for 60 minutes passing the puck, and trying to steal it from one another, and then shooting it to try to gain a point. Why not after the game acknowledge that it was a good battle fought for a win. I understand that during that battle words may be said, and wrongdoings may be done to one another, but it is just a game. Why can't they be more like curlers I guess..... after a game we shake hands say 'good game, let's go grab a beer'. Obviously not the youngen's, they can't drink alcohol ;o)

I had mentioned at work to a fellow co-worker my dismay over this issue, and she informed me that they don't really enforce shaking hands at the end of a game in Jr. hockey anymore. I was absolutely shocked that they wouldn't encourage more sportsmanlike behaviour to these young boys playing hockey. I remember growing up going to watch my brother's hockey games, a lot. Usually they would shake hands or even give a low five after the game. They may have not liked the opposition very much after the game, but at least they acknowledged that it was a good game played between the two teams. NHL players are role models to many young up-and-coming hockey players. What kind of values are they teaching these young boys by acting the way that they do after the game..... just walking off the ice after the 60 minutes are up. No chance to acknowledge each other. All I ask for is a simple handshake. I know that in the Olympics they shake hands after the games, also in playoffs they shake hands, why not all year around.



I don't know. That is just something that I wanted to share. Feedback is always good or some insight to something that I guess I am clueless to. I say bring back shaking hands after the game, teach these young boys that it is just a game.


Well for happier thoughts look how small my little Zoe was when we first got her. Isn't she adorable :o)

3 comments:

PurseJunkie (a.k.a. A) said...

Awwwe... Well I can't say I've noticed this unsportsmanship aspect to NHL games.. (and I've been to 'just a few' games.. ha ha.. but then again we don't necessarilly wait for the end to leave.. te he he) but yeah.. it is a show of respect and it's not just in the 'hockey' world it's in everyone's nature now a days to be like that.. They should care .. and it shouldn't be a play-off only or olympics only deal.. but thems the ropes Babe.

PurseJunkie (a.k.a. A) said...

on a lighter note.. Zoe-derz looks soo teeney tiny.. (and I'm assuming that's Ryan harassing her in that pic.. te he he..).. She's TRINK-SIZE!!

Toona's Mom said...

Ohhhhhhh us curlers.....we just seem to have another way of looking at sports. I do agree with you though on the hand shake, a good game played is a good game played and should be acknowledged by everyone not just your coach or team mates. I sure do miss those days, weekends and nights at the hockey arena watching your brother play. AND I sure do miss the little Zoe-ders being that small because that would mean that she was still living at her Grandma and Grandpas house. Hehehehehehe