Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An Exhausting Weekend

It was a long weekend. We started on Saturday morning with classes at Aqua-Tek Scuba with Shawn. We went over a few chapters, got our gear organized and ready for the afternoon in the pool. We got to go home for a break before we had to go to the pool (lucky pug she didn't have to hold her pee/poo for the whole day) then it was off to the leisure centre for our pool training. We learned a lot of useful things in four hours. Then Cam and I had to rush home to get ready to go out for supper for a friends birthday. We made it to the dinner an hour late...oops...others were late as well. It was a great supper! Awesome food! It was a little pricey but that's okay Cam and I both don't mind paying for good food.
Then on Sunday morning it was back in the pool for more training. Then more classes in the afternoon at the shop. When they are teaching you to scuba dive they are basically teaching you 'worst case scenario' situations. So what to do in case something goes wrong, because lets face it you are 100 feet underwater and you can't just go to the surface because you can die you need to know what to do if something goes wrong. After we finished filling out the rest of the paper work at the shop we were done that part of our training. It is just the open dives we have to complete now. Which we are doing this upcoming weekend.
Because we are braving the elements and doing our dive in COLD water we opted to take our dry suit course. So, again we were in the pool last night learning how to dive with our dry suits. What a feeling that is. It is amazing the difference that you feel in a wetsuit compared to a dry suit. I somehow managed to injure myself while learning. I guess I descended to quickly and my ears didn't equalize for me on the way down how they usually do and by the time I got to the bottom my left ear was in a bit of pain, but I HAD to finish this course. My dives this weekend depended on it. So I cleared my ear the best I could and equalized it the best I could and continued on with the lessons. I just couldn't go as deep as Cam could because the pressure was too much for my little eardrum to deal with. It is still a little tender today, but I think a good nights sleep as well as sleeping with my left ear on a magic bag will help to dislodge the discomfort. So I should be in top form by the weekend because we will have to go 80 Feet by the end of the weekend. Or at least I have a feeling we will because once we are fully certified we are able to go 80 feet on our own. I don't intend on doing such deep dives in the future, but you never know.

No comments: